About the London School of Osteopathy
The London School of Osteopathy has been training osteopaths for over 70 years.
We welcome students from a wide range of backgrounds and academic experience. We are particularly proud of the way we support our mature students who choose to study with us. Many of our lecturers were themselves mature students when they made the decision to study osteopathy, so they have a real understanding of what it is to return to studies after a break from education.
To help with the transition into University life we provide support to our students in the months prior to their formal start in September. Information and workbooks are sent out over the summer months, designed to help ease you into your academic studies.
During the induction week we assess all students to identify any learning support that may be required. Thisoften picks up people who have not previously had any formal assessment. Lectures are provided to help you decide your preferred learning style.
In a nutshell we give you all the guidance and support you need to succeed in your academic studies.
The LSO has two sites in London.Our college with a mix of class rooms, tutorial spaces, study spaces, library and admin offices is based in Bermondsey, which is a 10 – 15 minute walk from London Bridge. Our busy teaching clinic in East London, 3 minutes walk from Bethnal Green underground station. It serves the local community and is where our students gain their practical experience.
We believe in ‘a hands’ on approach to learning:
- Students have the opportunity to gain clinical experience within their first year of study at our clinic.
- Unlike traditional lecture rooms our students aren’t sat behind desks – our teaching rooms are equipped with treatment plinths. Students are able to gain ‘hands-on’ experience within the classroom.
- All our osteopathic lecturers are registered practitioners. When not teaching they are provide treatment to patients in a variety of clinics.
We believe in welcoming students from all backgrounds and walks of life:
- Whether you are a mature student who has never been to college, a professional looking for a change in career or a school leaver, we believe in providing you with a warm and supportive learning environment.
- You will be taught in small groups where you will quickly get to know your lecturers and fellow students. Lecturers are focused on supporting your individual needs.
- Students support one another with peer to peer learning, whether in the classroom, the clinic or in our dedicated library.
We believe in a flexible approach to learning:
- Students can choose to study on a full-time or part-time basis.
- Where possible we allow students to schedule their own clinical time.
We believe in supporting you in your new career as an osteopath:
- Newly qualified graduates have the opportunity to spend time as a ‘Graduate practitioner’ in our clinic.
- As part of their studies students are taught business and marketing skills, and how to write a business plan, making it easier to start up a new business on graduation.
“The beauty of the LSO for me has been the small class sizes and being able to have almost individual attention from the tutors and supporting staff.”
Natasha , former IT Manager