Information and guidance on where to go for help

Organisations providing help and suppport

We are putting together a list of organisations that may be able to offer both mental and or financial help for students suffering as a result of the COVID-19 situation. As the situations changes the support and grants offered may change.


Support for mental health

NHS Every Mind Matters – help and advice for looking after your mental health whilst following guidelines to stay at home

Student Minds

Save the Student – has a section on self-isolating at University

MIND for better Mental Health


Exercise and activities


Sport England – Stay in Work Out

Coursera FREE online short courses


Financial assistance

The Princes Trust 

Trussell Trust Foodbanks

Hospitality Action – grants for people working in the hospitality industry

Institute of Osteopathy Hardship Fund 

General Financial Support

Concerns about paying bills

If you have any concerns about paying bills or financial concerns you should always look to seek help and advice as soon as possible. The Citizens Advice website is a good place to find information.

The Money Saving Expert page also has links to useful resources and information.


Help paying rent or mortgage

More information and advice about moving house or making rental or mortgage payments can be found on the Shelter charity website.


Support and helplines


If you or someone you know is suffering from Domestic Abuse, isolation rules do not apply. Police response and support services remain available. Nationally, there is advice and support available but you should call 999 if you are in immediate danger. Locally, the Solace Advocacy and Support Service is also available to women and men in Southwark aged 16 or over in Southwark.

Childline: 0800 1111
Samaritans: 116 123
Domestic Violence Hotline: 0808 2000 247
Mind: 0300 123 3393
Age UK: 0800 169 6565


Further information

Link to apply for self-employed grant

Government Website

Self employed and universal credit

Small Business Cash Grant

Citizens Advice

Universal Credit information

Employment Support information 

The Money Advice Service

The Association of Independent Professionals and the Self-Employed (IPSE)

Martin Lewis Money saving Expert